Friday 1 May 2009

THEY'RE BACK

After the success of 2008 the blue tits are back and have chosen the same nest box as last year.

Last weekend they were seen mating outside the box and can be heard every morning and evening in the surrounding bushes and trees ready for the day, or bed!

From the beginning:

Christmas 2007 I received a nest box from my girlfriend's parents and after careful research, erected it facing north-east overlooking my garden.

Within weeks a pair of blue tits had shown an interest and after watching them feed on my various stations in the garden I noticed them entering the box.

After a May holiday in Cuba, I returned to find the parents flying regularly in and out with caterpillars and other sumptuous grubs for the chicks.

The chicks were audible in the living room and in early June six fledged and disappeared with the parents into the surrounding countryside.

A successful rearing must have inspired the parents (I presume it’s the parents though I have no way of knowing 100%) to return.

An update will be made over the May Bank Holiday when I’ll be feeding them more mealworms.

No comments:

Post a Comment