Monday 11 May 2009

FEEDING UPDATE

Taking pictures

After crouching by the window trying to get images of the parents entering the nestbox to feed the youngsters I’ve had to make do with the current images you can see in this post and the previous one. (this is of a robin picking a mealworm off the ground)

The mealworm feast I’m providing is feeding not only the blue tits, but also blackbirds, robins, dunnocks and great tits.

I believe, judging by the behaviour of the robins, dunnocks and great tits, they all have nests with young in nearby. This weekend I intend to establish exact locations and, if possible, provide images of their ‘homes’.

I will of course not jeopardise the health of chicks or adults during this exercise.

As for the blue tit chicks, I’ve not really heard them yet while they’re being fed, but expect to hear something by the end of this week.

It’s at this point that I regret not putting up a camera nestbox, though this was decided for me when in February the adults blue tits were using the nestbox as a roosting station.

I will however put one up in late autumn when I clear out the current nestbox ready for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment