Wednesday 20 May 2009

BLUE TITS SINGING IN THE RAIN

The chicks are getting louder

This morning I glimpsed the sun through the many clouds and wondered if the weather would be good for once and help the growing blue tit chicks.

I needn't have worried - when I arrived home it rained and rained and rained!

My usual morning feed was gone within minutes and this evening the feed was noticed in seconds (as usual) despite the constant heavy rain. I gave the feeders a little more both times in the hope the parents would take a few for themselves and keep the chicks warm through the night.

As I watch the birds visiting my garden my mind wanders to the pond behind the house, and the mallard duckings.

I see them every morning and evening as I drive to and from work since I noticed their presence. They seem to be progressing well and according to research I heard today, they must be loving the rain!

There seems to be two pairs of tufted ducks in the pond and this weekend I'm going to find out if they're both nesting and on eggs. Fingers crossed for some positive news.

Back to the blue tits. The chicks seem to be doing well and the squawking gets higher, during feeding, every day. I'm not sure exactly how many chicks are in the nestbox (I'll be getting a camera nestbox for next season!), but I aim to count them as they leave the nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment