Friday 15 May 2009

MORNING UPDATE

A wet feeding session

When the overnight rain turned torrential in the early hours I feared for the parent blue tits and their ability to provide enough food for their chicks and keep them warm in the nest.

I needn't have worried as the first thing I saw when getting my breakfast at 6.30am was both parents flying in to the nestbox with grubs to feed the young. They looked a little dishevelled but the site of them both feeding put my mind at rest.

While looking around the garden I also noticed my second fledgling of the season. A parent dunnock was being harrassed by a chick down by the pond.

A welcoming sight, especially given I'd witnessed a pair of dunnocks flying to and from my mealworm handout over the last 10 days.

The nest is somewhere near the small stream that borders our small group of houses.

Looking forward to a drier weekend and a drier evening so I can update the progress of all my garden's wildlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment