Saturday 23 May 2009

DEMANDING CHICKS

Mealworm, caterpillar, mealworm

No cuckoo sounds so far this weekend, but we're only half way through it so plenty of time to go!

Spent a lot of time in the garden yesterday planting out baskets, mowing and putting sunflowers around the borders. Fingers crossed they bloom and attract seed hunters later in the year.

As for the blue tits, they seem to be getting along quite well with a constant supply of food from the parents. Be it a mealworm or two, courtesy of me, caterpillars or other delicious grubs.

I was hopeful the chicks would fledge this weekend, but it seems it could be midweek, when I won't be able to view the spectacle.

Next door have introduced some feeder to the garden and this has attracted the local birds. I'm confident with plenty of shelter, wild food, nestboxes and human-presented food the local bird population will continue to grow and stay around for years.

Some of course will fly away to warmer climes for the winter, which includes the beautiful swallows. They treated us to a spectacular aerobatic display yesterday morning and evening as they competed for food and nesting areas.

They've obviously chosen the same building as last year, the year before and probably for many years before. I'm aiming to get footage of their display today and put them on my next blog.

I know they're nesting because I saw, on a number of occasions yesterday, one on the floor collecting materials for a nest.

I'm looking forward to the newly hatched chicks fledging and learning their aerobatic skills in August, before sadly gathering on the telephone wires in September and going off on their winter holidays until April.

I can see them outside the window now so fingers crossed I get some good footage.

Of the other birds, the blackbirds seem t be on eggs, as the male is the only one seen at the moment. I gather the mating I witnessed early on Thursday may have been successful.

The robins must be showing their chicks around the local neighbourhood, although I get the feeling another pair is 'operating' in the area and could be on eggs.

The tree sparrows appear to be pairing up for mating and the great tits must have chicks they are feeding frequently.

The dunnocks appear to be feeding fledglings but as usual with new families, they disperse after fledgings and take a tour of the area as the parents moult.

I'll publish a full list of the regular wildlife in my garden in the next post.

Oh finally, I was treated to a display from swifts last night, amazing aerial skills and squeaking. I don't think they're nesting too close to the garden, but I think I will see them a lot more during the summer evenings.

And I'm really looking forward to Springwatch starting tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment