Monday 25 May 2009

BANK HOLIDAY BONANZA

Barbeque feeding session

What a weekend, well at least weather wise! Summer is officially here and as my partner, Sarah, planted the hanging baskets and window boxes, I was busy making sure the blue tits weren't going to fledge without me noticing.

While it was an interesting experience, it proved that wildlife doesn't confirm to human activity and won't rush along a fledging just to coincide with a bank holiday.

What I did learn was that blue tits are great parents, ignoring all manner of activity in the garden to continue providing food for their chicks in the nestbox.

As Sarah planted out the baskets, right underneath the nestbox, the blue tits made the initial alarm calls before realising she meant no harm and continued to feed the ever-louder chicks.


Even when we had a bbq for the neighbours and ate at a table underneath the nestbox, the parents continued to feed the chicks and inadvertently provide a small garden spectacular for me, Sarah and our guests.

I did help the viewing by handing out mealworms, but Neil and Fiona, Holly and Jonny, along with Andy, Sarah and me, watched in awe as the blue tit parents continued to feed the chicks.

Tomorrow I'll be putting up video footage, provided by Neil and Fiona's camera, of various wildlife activities, including that of the ducks and swallows.

Back to the blue tit chicks and I'm confident they will fledge this week, unfortunately I think I'll miss the fledging - unless they hold off until the weekend!

The wonderful weather coincided with the return of
Springwatch. I thoroughly enjoyed the first programme and hope it continues to provide amateurs like me notes on how to provide a good habitat for all wildlife and watch them without disturbance.

Lots of footage tomorrow including that of a make blackbird's evening song.

No comments:

Post a Comment