Thursday 21 April 2011

SIX NOT OUT

I mean six eggs with no chicks out yet.

The sixth egg appeared this morning and as I've not been able to get a clear picture of the eggs tonight I'm unsure as to how many there are now.


I've noticed the parent great tits are leaving the eggs alone for quite a long time, sometimes over an hour, but I guess time will tell if this is normal behaviour or first time parents unsure of what they're doing - a bit like Sarah and I, well more me than Sarah if I'm honest.

As I look at the female now covering and warming the eggs I hope the work and effort she and her partner have put into these eggs pays off.

Putting a camera into their domain (nestbox) was a risk for me and I'm grateful they've accepted it, even if the view isn't quite how I set it up.

With the Easter holidays upon us I hope to give reflective views on 2011 compared to 2010 and 2009.

I'll also be topping up their diet with mealworms and keeping an eye on which other birds are currently parents.

As Sarah and I enjoy out first spring and summer with our daughter, so I hope to share with our birds the joy of parenthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment