Wednesday 20 April 2011

HOW MANY EGGS ARE THERE?

Another day and another egg from the great tit female as she broods the five eggs. As the honorary midwife, I've pencilled in a due date of 1st May, although I won't be helping with the births.

I'm so fascinated by the nestbox camera I'm often sat in the lounge just watching what is happening. This week I'll be mainly updating the nestbox activity, but will have a full round up of the other news over the weekend - when I can see them!

The female is often turning over the eggs to ensure they're incubated all around, a very fussy parent-to-be.

This morning she had left the nest to be with her partner and have a feed, but left her eggs covered with soft down and fur to ensure they kept warm - given this very warm weather at the moment she didn't need much fur.

Tomorrow I'll be comparing how the timings of nest building and egg laying have differed from this year to 2010.

I've looked back on my blog last year and despite being delayed in the Canary Islands by the volcanic ash cloud incident, I'm able to give fairly accurate timings of when things happened.

Below is the five eggs as they were at 7.30pm tonight, after the female briefly left the nest. Will I find more in the morning? Tune in tomorrow night to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment