Monday 25 April 2011

JUMPING FOR JOY

Two news updates tonight as some people's Easter celebrations give way to that sick feeling from eating too much chocolate. I feel fine as my Easter diet has been mainly watching the great tit eggs.

The great tit female has spent much more time incubating the eggs, while the male is often seen 'on guard' in the trees near the nestbox.

It's interesting to see and hear the interaction between the pair, especially when anyone s outside in the garden. The male must be reassuring the female on the nest, giving her he confidence to keep the eggs warm.

I did witness a very interesting battle between the female and a mosquito type creature, all in the darkness of the nestbox. The video below shows what happened.

I don't think there are any more eggs so the total appears to be eight, fingers crossed they all hatch and survive to at least fledgling.

In other news, I was putting extra plants in the rockery when I noticed a pair of eyes looking at me from the pond.

A frog was half submerged and motionless, watching me attend to the surrounding rockery. t even allowed me to take two photographs.

I think it's a little late for new frogspawn, so wonder if it's a tadpole from last year visiting the place it grew up.

I'll be keeping an eye on the pond to see what develops, but don't expect it to be another place in my garden to produce new wildlife.

The below photos of the pond are taken with seconds of each. Can you spot the frog?

No comments:

Post a Comment