Saturday 23 April 2011

EIGHTH WONDER OF THE NESTBOX

Well wonders never cease! Certainly not in my camera nestbox, as the eighth egg made an appearance this morning.

It makes me wonder if a ninth will appear tomorrow; my money is on not, but given my recent betting tips I'm not hopeful of a win

The female has been attending to the incubating very well today, with lots of egg turning and turning herself in the nest - no wonder the nest looks and feels like a perfectly formed mug from a pottery wheel.


As the warm weather starts to fade I think the female will spend more time in the nestbox and incubating the eggs, as the due date looms ever closer.

If my calculations (and bird book) are correct, the first chick should put in an appearance on Bank Holiday Monday.

I'm keeping everything crossed that all the eggs produce chicks, but know that only half of the eggs are likely to hatch chicks that will still be with us next year.

Perhaps my mealworms will help improve that percentage and the local cats can stay away during fledgling.

More updates tomorrow, with video footage too.

No comments:

Post a Comment