Saturday 23 April 2011

LUCKY SEVEN?

For the fourth day in a row another egg was laid in the great tits' nest, bringing the total to seven. I'm not expecting any more although I thought she would stop at five!

The activity is still following a pattern of the female doing the incubating and calling to the male for confirmation she can leave the nest safely to feed.

The eggs are often left for up to an hour, and although I was worried at first, I'm starting to trust their parenting skills and feel a bit more relaxed about the eggs uncovered for a short time.

I'm starting to put mealworms out for the parents and the first small batch was consumed by all manner of birds, who all swooped in to get their portion; either for themselves or their chicks.

I suspect the robins and blackbirds fed their chicks, while the blue and great tits fed themselves.

Images of the birds and other wildlife will be available in posts over the weekend as I make the most of an extended Easter holiday.

The only difference this year is not all my eggs are made of chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment