Saturday 22 March 2014

SPRING WARMTH SLOWLY GOING

Disappointing week as the blue tit nest box camera has stopped working and I think the problem will mean no pictures to see how the nesting goes this breeding season.

Unfortunately the problem could easily have been avoided had it not been for a very clumsy meter reader, who didn’t close the external reading door properly and left it to bang open against the outside wall and the power wire to the camera.

I’ve not fully checked it out but I can’t change the cable as it’ll mean accessing the nest box and therefore disturbing the birds.

Talking of which I did manage to get a glimpse of the birds occupying the nest box – it was a bit of a shock as there were two birds in there and neither was a blue tit or great tit.

In fact it is a pair of house sparrows that were starting to build a nest, which is unusual considering they normally nest in groups and they seemingly haven’t touched the other camera nest box – although I think this is down to the camera being too obtrusive.

I will be checking to see it the cable can be fixed, but I don’t hold out much hope. In the meantime here's the images I have of how it went over the last ten days, until the 'cut off' point.
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
Plenty of daffodils are now showing and along with the snowdrops, tulips and crocuses are making the garden fill with colour.

The vegetable and plant growing has started well, with broad bean, marigold and sunflowers all showing in the seeding pots.

I’ll be starting to transport them in to the greenhouse in early April and next weekend plant more outside vegetable – potatoes, carrots and parsnips.

On all counts I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed for warmer weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment