Sunday 9 March 2014

SPRING HAS ARRIVED IN FORCE

Spring is now well underway with temperatures suddenly reaching 16c in the garden, and accompanied by bright, sunny skies.

The dry and warm(ish) weather has resulted in a deluge of bird song during sunrise and sunset. The rock garden and pond area are now flourishing, as this picture shows.

 
I’m pleased that the robins can be heard almost above all the other bird song, or even most other local noise in the morning or evening.

The one in the garden has now found a mate and it’s nice to know they’ll be using my garden should they be successful in having a nest of chicks in the coming months. Unfortunately I don’t think they’ll be using my robin nest box, as the honeysuckle hasn’t quite grown enough to conceal it well.

One resident that has been back in the garden is the great spotted woodpecker, although he is very shy and disappears at the slightest noise.

While the birds continue to flock to the garden and make the most of the handouts, I’ve not seen one in either nest box that has a camera.

Given the closeness of the camera in the sparrow nest box I think it could put the birds off, but a piece of straw that is in the tit nest box had been moved around for the last few days, suggesting that visitors have been in, just not seen by me.

Neither nest box is occupied overnight so it has been a waiting game to see if March can bring the start of nest building, but today it did! I’m not sure which tits are building the nest, but my hunch is blue tits.

 
One lovely sign of spring is the sight and sound of a bumblebee. I found one on the winter rose plant, which has grown year on year since being planted in 2010.

The picture isn’t the best for identification purposes, but it’s from an upside down position and show the bee feeding on early nectar.

 
If anyone has an idea on the type, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment