Sunday 2 March 2014

GOODBYE WINTER, HELLO SPRING

The mild winter has now officially finished as March 1st heralded the start of spring, but the last week of winter showed clear signs of spring already having arrived.

More and more spring bulbs are showing and flowering, which are brightening up the garden, while the blossom on the fruit tree is almost covering each branch and twig.

Unfortunately the two nest box cameras have not had any activity, with the birds seemingly happy to roost elsewhere with the mild winter evenings.

Typically spring has started with a mixture of sunshine and showers, although some would say it’s a refreshing change from the winter storms.

Once the temperatures starts creeping up and the sun shines for even longer during the increasing daylight hours, I’m sure the flora and fauna will be frantically active and I may even see some activity in the nest boxes.

Until then I’ll keep providing food for the birds, they’ll keep gobbling it up and I’ll enjoy the spring bulbs emerging.

I’ll also be planning for the planting season and hope the ground I’ve prepared over winter will deliver bumper crops.

No comments:

Post a Comment