Monday 2 May 2011

ANY DAY NOW

I've been keeping a close eye on the nestbox over the weekend and the female appears to be getting very agitated while sitting on the eggs.

I expect she's like any expectant parent, eagerly looking forward to seeing her young, but also to spend a bit more time outside.

The eggs are turned over at regular intervals to ensure they all are at the right temperature - how she knows I'm not sure as there's no thermometer! The picture below was taken while the female had five minutes enjoying the good weather.


The male has been very attentive, bringing in food for the female and probably to see exactly what's going on.

It's been two weeks since the first four eggs were laid, so I'm tuning in every hour to make sure I don't miss that first chick. The incubation period is 13-15 days, so it can't be too long.

My mealworm supply is ready and waiting, so when the chicks hatch, the parents have a helping hand in the first crucial days.

I have noticed some caterpillars on surrounding trees, although can't tell if there are plenty to go around for all the birds who rely on them to feed their young.

I'm still concerned about the blue tits, as they appear to be setting up home elsewhere. There's still hope of them using another nestbox in my garden or even next door's hole in the wall, like last year.

Right I'm off to have another look, perhaps tomorrow will bring some positive news.

No comments:

Post a Comment