Friday 13 May 2011

FEATHERING THE NEST

The weather in May is like April, full of showers and gradually cooler weather.

But nothing is dampening the spirits of the great tit parents as they continue to ensure their eight chicks are fed.

The feeding frenzy is obviously working as the chicks are now filling the nest and jostling for position when the next delivery of mealworms or caterpillars is brought in.

I suspect it's only a matter of days before the chicks fledge and I hope the weather improves so the chicks have the maximum chance of survival.

On a sad note a witnessed a female duck and her eight ducklings, on their way to a water source, being run over and killed by a car on a local road. The car didn't brake or even try to avoid the family and it made my heart sink deeper than I ever thought wildlife would make me feel.

I suspect having my own young family and watching the great tits be born and grow up has contributed to me feelings.

On a happier note the images below are from yesterday morning to this evening, giving you an idea of how much the great chick tits have grown.

Thursday 7am

Thursday 7pm

Friday 7am

Friday 7pm

No comments:

Post a Comment