Friday 27 May 2011

EMPTY NEST AS CHICKS FLEDGE

This day had been coming for a while, but it seems only yesterday when I got excited about seeing the first great tit eggs laid.

In just 40 days the female has laid eight eggs, incubated them and with the help of the male, raised eight healthy chicks to fledging. A remarkable achievement and one I was privileged to witness through the nestbox camera.

The activity inside a nest, den or lair as wildlife brings up their young was rarely seen by anyone, but now thanks to tiny cameras and extensive digital equipment, it is available to those of us who choose to witness a wonderful part of the circle of life.

I watched the great tit chicks from 5.30am yesterday morning, but still missed the first two fledging. I could see them in the nearby trees and hear the adults encouraging the others to leave the nest.

Three more made it out, before another fledged as I got into my car. One landed on next door's outside wall before joining the family in the trees.

Below is a series of images taken from 6.00am during the fledging. The final image is of the chick clinging to next door's house - it's just above the white brick in the centre of the screen.




When I returned home from work in the evening the nestbox was empty and I contemplated another 10 months with little activity.

But in a final twist I noticed last night a bird using the nestbox to roost (see below). I think it's one of the adult great tits, but I can only speculate as to why she it there.

My thinking is there's a possibility of a new brood, but I'd welcome people's opinions and expertise as I don't know.
I will of course check over the weekend and update my blog accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment