Thursday 5 May 2011

BREAKTHROUGH

Two weeks and three days after the first eggs appeared, the great tits awoke this morning to six chicks!

I was very excited at 6.30am when I managed to see the chicks, who were minutes old.

The female was trying to feed them a spider, but it appeared to still be alive and was putting up a fight as the chicks struggled with their first feed.

To help the parents I have a supply of mealworms for them to feed the chicks, although I think there will be lots of caterpillars given the rain and humid weather.

The female is still incubating the final two eggs and keeping the chicks warm so glimpses of the chicks are few and far between.

But luckily not long after I looked this morning, I managed to capture this video. Enjoy until tomorrow's update.


No comments:

Post a Comment