Sunday 10 June 2012

A WASHOUT

So 'Flaming June' has turned out to be flaming wet and a disaster for many of our birds with chicks, including the ospreys on Springwatch.

The decision by the Dyfi Osprey Project to feed the remaining chick has my backing as it helps continue the revival of such a majestic bird.

For those that want to read all about how the final chick was saved, click here; you'll find it very moving and a superb tribute to the people involved.

Ospreys are one of my top birds, along with the swallow and peregrine falcon. None have nested in my garden, so a do have soft spot for blue and great tits, plus robin, who all have raised broods in my garden.

I only hope that the final osprey chick now gets enough food and calm, dry weather to fledge.

The weather has also effected wildlife in my garden as the birds, bees and small mammals struggle to keep warm and find food.

I've tried to help with live mealworms, which have been gobbled up by the blackbirds, tree sparrows, house sparrows and great tits.

I suspect the blackbirds have chicks, possible the same parents that had chicks earlier this year.

This afternoon I'll be taking part in the Big Garden Weigh-in with my daughter as I continue teaching her about the local wildlife and how to help them with food and shelter.

It's always good teaching the next generation and I hope she takes up an interest in nature.

As the week ahead shows a continuation on the cooler weather, further rain if forecast, which doesn't bode well for the ospreys or much of the other wildlife trying to breed and bring up their next generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment