Thursday 21 June 2012

NOT MUCH ACTION

The wildlife has not been out in force recently, well not in my garden anyway.

A male blackbird is often heard from a few nearby high spots, notably tops of telegraph poles, joining a subdued dawn chorus and being prominent during the dusk chorus.

The swallows are often seen now with youngsters from the first brood and given the weather and potential increase in insect numbers in the next few weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a second brood.

A chiffchaff has recently been heard to sing again, so perhaps a second brood is on there, while a male robin has often been in the garden when it sees me with the mealworm box ready to put some on a feeding station.

The tree sparrows and house sparrows must still be feeding youngsters, because they grab a number of mealworms each visit, but I expect them to fledge soon.

One of the interesting visitors is a magpie, which seems to have discovered I'm fairly generous when it comes to feeding the smaller birders. It if often joined by others, who then scare the smaller birds away and gobble up mealworms, before trying their beaks on the peanuts - which they sometimes succeed with despite the feeder being only suited for smaller birds.

I've counted four different types of bees visiting the garden, I can't name them, but can tell the differences from colour and size variations.

When the summer returns after this current storm, I'll take a closer look and come back with types of bees so it can provide me with information on who is living around here and why.

For now I can only hope the ducks enjoy the weather as I think it'll be warming up from next week onwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment