Sunday 8 September 2013

THE START OF AUTUMN?

The summer and the lovely weather came to a dramatic end this week, with typical autumnal conditions.

I think the worst of the wind and rain missed my garden, although it still had a good soaking!

The biggest thing I’ve noticed in the last 36 hours, since the autumn weather began, is the amount of small birds visiting the garden – I even saw a robin yesterday, a bird I’d not seen for over a month in the garden.

I’ve stocked up on bird food so they all have a back-up supply should conditions get any worse.

That said, the sun has been out today, although with not as much warmth as last week. Although the trees are still all green I suspect the yellows, browns and reds will soon adorn the branches, before carpeting the surrounding floor.

In the coming months lots of flora and fauna will prepare for winter by effectively shutting down, or in some cases simply flying to warmer climes.

The swallows are few and far between now, as they follow the swifts to Africa. The dawn chorus rarely has their beautiful song and the evening singing has been swallow-free for a couple of days.

 
In the garden my sunflowers are out in force and they’ll soon provide the birds with a plentiful supply of autumn seeds – although I’ll be keeping a few myself for next year!

 
The harvesting is still continuing with tomatoes, carrots, potatoes and runner beans all being in good supply.  The parsnips will be last, but should be ok for roasting at Christmas – oh no I mentioned the C word in September!

 
Right that’s it for this week, I wonder my post next week will see more information about birds coming back in to the garden for food.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment