Saturday 28 September 2013

SUMMER HOLDING AUTUMN AT BAY

The ‘Indian Summer’ continues and the insects and plants are making the most of the warm and sunny weather.

I’ve seen huge numbers of butterflies, bees and other insects benefiting from the plants and flowers that are producing more flowers in this weather.

Although the chills of autumn are now far away, it’s great to enjoy this weather and look at how the wildlife is doing so too.

One thing that has changed recently has been the garden birds spending less time in the garden because of the natural food in the surrounding countryside.

The weather has been helpful in the harvesting of my garden, with endless amounts of tomatoes, runner beans, carrots and potatoes.

I’ll have to wait for the parsnips, but the hard work of the planting season is now reaping a reward and most it very tasty.

It’s unusual to see me watering the garden in late September, but I have to because of the warmth and growing flora.

One day, probably soon, I’ll be watching the garden being flooded by heavy rain so for now I’ll enjoy the weather.

Perhaps next week I’ll be talking about rain rather than sun, although I’m sure the fauna and myself will be hoping not!

No comments:

Post a Comment