Sunday 15 September 2013

AND SO AUTUMN OFFICIALLY ARRIVES

I write this as the first autumn storm grips most of the UK, and we now know that summer is long gone.

The biggest thing I’ve noticed this week is the return of the small birds to the garden – including the robin who hasn’t been seen in my garden since July.

The extended house sparrow family, along with the blue tits and great tits are making the most of the fast snacks on offer.

A number of dunnocks are also devouring the garden food, although there are still plenty of insects on the flowering plants.

With a flurry of ripe tomatoes along with runner beans, potatoes and carrots the hard work of earlier in the year is now starting to pay off.

I’m most looking forward to the parsnips which should be ready in November.

One final note for this week is the final departures of the swallows. I’d noticed many this week gathering at various places, mainly in wet weather.

I imagine they were saying to each other, ‘let’s sod off to somewhere warmer’, as they chattered to each other.

And with this autumn storm gripping the country I doubt I’ll see any more this year.

So let’s prepare for the colder weather with the thoughts of when the swallows return and the sun will help breath life back into the countryside.

No comments:

Post a Comment