Friday 5 July 2013

THE SECOND FLEDGING FROM THE SAME NESTBOX

Last Sunday the house sparrow chicks departed early in the day, albeit a day ro so later than I expected. 

The two chicks had been testing their wings out for a couple of days, but I suspect the rain and cool weather delayed their departure.

Then all of a sudden they fledged before my eyes and flew off with their parents to explore the giant world outside of the nestbox.

Here’s the sequence of how they left, starting with Saturday night.
 

Sunday morning
 

One has fledged

 
They’ve both gone
 

The fledging happened in a matter of minutes and it was just luck that I was able to watch it, both on timing and that the camera was still working!

It’s such a shame that the camera wasn’t working when the blue tit chicks were in the nest, or when they fledged, but the most important thing is they fledged.

I will inspect the nestbox and nesting ‘arrangements’ later this summer, before clearing out the nestbox ready for next year.

I’ve not seen much of other birds recently, although the chattering of house sparrows does often mark the arrival of dawn.

I have heard the calls of blue tits, goldfinches, magpies and swallows, but only the swallows are regularly seen.

The swallows have gone a little quiet so I suspect they are on a second clutch of eggs – well given that we’re about to experience a summer I don’t blame them!

Given that the weather is going to warm, if not hot, up I’m going to make sure the birds have a water supply, as this will become increasingly important for them, the longer rain doesn’t fall.

Finally the bee numbers are increasing every time I’m in the garden, and I’ve spotted at least five different types, which is very pleasing.

So let’s all enjoy this upcoming real summer and hope the wildlife can too.

No comments:

Post a Comment