Saturday 29 June 2013

HOUSE SPARROWS MOVING ABODE?

The end of this week was a washout, but far from it being the norm – as per 2012 – it seems to be just a blip in the summer proceedings.

The house sparrow chicks in the camera nestbox are almost ready to go and I suspect they could have even gone by the time this post is uploaded, or you have read it.

I can count just the two chicks, although the noise they make does suggest many more should be inside there. You try counting them in the best of the early images below!


It’s hard to make out the chicks on some days because the nesting material, which is very high in the nestbox due to it being on the blue tit’s nest, often obscures the view as the parents often knock things as they enter the nestbox with food.

Luckily the last day or so has presented us with a clearer view and the chicks are very noticeably house sparrows with the feathers patterns easy to determine, even in black and white as the latest image shows – you can clearly see the two chicks

 
I was surprised by this new nest in my garden, as it was the first time house sparrows had nested here, but it appears that it might not be the only pair nesting in my garden this summer.

Early one morning I noticed that a pair of house sparrows were flying to and from the new terraced nestbox I’d put up in early spring.

On closer inspection they were both gathering nesting material and seem to be building a new nest, which is a little strange considering it’s nearly July.

I’ll be taking a closer look later this weekend to see if they’re still building or if the wet weather has hampered them.

The good news is this should mean next year the triple nestbox should be occupied, at least one of the ‘homes’ anyway.

In other news the blue tits and great tits have started to be seen a little more, with the robins, dunnocks and blackbirds not showing at all.

The great spotted woodpecker male has been seen again and is devouring the fat snack I’ve put up; I wonder if he’s still got young and is struggling to find more natural food.

One thing I did witness was a young swallow being chased by a small bird of prey, which I presume was a hobby.

The swallow seemed to get away by diving into a hedge just behind my house, although I only saw the battle for a few seconds and couldn’t then see what happened afterwards.

Obviously I don’t like seeing the swallows being predated, but with so many in the skies this summer it’s good to know last year’s drop in fledglings has hopefully been evened out by a larger than normal amount this year.

My nest plan is to find out if hedghogs are living around my garden and if not, contact a couple of rescue centres to provide a home for them. Updates soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment