Saturday 6 April 2013

NESTBOX CAMERA NEST OWNER REVEALED!

The owner of the camera nestbox with its new nest has been revealed – and I was right the blue tits are back!

After a two year absence, because of a great tit pair claiming the nestbox, the blue tits are back for a third year.

They previously nested in the first two years after the nestbox was up, but were usurped by the great tits, leaving the blue tits to find a new site – which happened to be a small hole in the brickwork of next door.

It’s great to know that the nestbox will continue to be utilised to ensure it’s been used for every year since I put it up.

There’s only one thing I’m hoping for this year and that is the weather doesn’t affect the breeding season following last year and the heavy rain – this unfortunately meant the great tit chicks didn’t survive more than a couple of days.

One thing I listened to today that I’ve not heard for five years was the sound of a woodpecker doing his/her thing. I couldn’t see the bird, but I suspect it might be the great spotted woodpecker that’s been visiting my garden over the years, particularly in winter.

I’ll certainly be keeping an eye out for the dead trees nearby that I think the woodpecker was creating the noise from.

With spring starting to show signs of finally arriving I’m hopeful that the local wildlife that hasn’t yet made itself known, will respond to the temperature rises and contribute to the wonderful season that we call spring.

Finally I’m hoping to get some images of the blue tits building their nest in time for the next blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment