Wednesday 3 April 2013

NESTBOX CAMERA IS BACK WORKING

The start of spring may still be delayed, but I feel it has begun after the nestbox camera started working today and revealed something very exciting.

After a phone call to the guys at Spy Camera CCTV, I tried once last go at fixing it and somehow it worked. Whether it’ll work for long is another question!

The camera revealed inside the nestbox a nest in the first stages of being built. I’m not sure which bird is doing the nest building but I’m hoping to catch it in action soon.

 
I suspect it’s a pair of blue tits and can’t wait to see if they continue to build it – I suspect it may be delayed due to the weather and lack of a spring, but perhaps this is a sign that wildlife knows spring is on its way!

The other nestboxes aren’t being used yet and while I still have hope for the new sparrow ‘hotel’ the other two are very unlikely to be used this year.

One other exciting development was the sighting of an animal I’ve never seen before around my house – a stoat.

With a number of farms nearby, including a chicken one, I’m surprised I’ve never seen a stoat or weasel around, but given that I first thought this stoat was a leaf blowing in the wind, it’s not surprising.

It was too quick for me to get a picture, although now I know one is around I’ll be on the lookout for it and possibly others in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment