Sunday 24 May 2015

WHO WON THE FIRST FLEDGING RACE?

Before I announce the winner of the race to be the first nest box to fledge, I found a new family this weekend.

Down the lane and less than 200 yards from the garden a new family of mallard ducklings appeared from the stream with their mother.

The family quickly turned around and pattered their webbed feet away from the lane and back to the undergrowth around the stream.

This is the first time I’ve seen a family of ducklings near the garden and with the pond nearby, I’m sure they’ll  be staying around  for a while and give me the chance to see them a few times this spring/summer.

So who won the race of the house sparrow families to fledge first in the garden?

It was the blue tit nest box house sparrows, the shy family that covered the camera. They fledged on the sunny and warm Saturday (yesterday) and I don’t think the other family will be far behind.
 
I've now probably got a few days to 'clear' the camera view before the next batch of eggs are laid.

The garden is looking very green, with a splattering of colour from a variety of plants, which are attracting plenty of insects including the odd bumblebee.

I’m going to leave some areas of the garden to continue growing wild, but others will be ‘managed’ to ensure plenty of colour brightens up the place this summer.
 
The swallows are still flying around catching some of the increasing number of flying insects, although I'm not sure when any of their eggs will be laid, particularly as the weather isn't too warm for the time of year.

Finally I’m still waiting to hear from the hedgehog rescue centre to see if I’m going to be selected to rehome a couple of prickly mammals.

No comments:

Post a Comment