Sunday 31 May 2015

THE FLEDGINGS CONTINUE

Last week both house sparrow nests fledged and this week it was the turn of the robins to ‘turf’ their youngsters out.

I can still see and hear the house sparrow families from the garden as the youngsters continually badger the parents for food.

I suspect both families are using the same set of trees, which are opposite the garden and have two of my feeders, but I’m not 100 per cent sure.

There are at least two robin chicks that I have seen feeding in the garden with one parent, but I suspect others are using next door’s garden with the other parent.

One chick took on a rather large worm that had surfaced following the overnight rain, but it appeared the worm won, albeit through a technical ‘chick scared of worm’ decision.
 

The next few days are supposedly going to be more like autumn than early summer, so I’m hoping the robin chicks will stay around in the relative safety of the garden for at least part of the next week.

In recent days I’ve seen the parent house sparrows mating again, so some shiny new eggs might be delivered by the end of next week, as one again the two house sparrow families battle to bring up the most chicks.

I’m going to attempt to clear the camera view in the blue tit nest box today and hopefully get a glimpse at those new eggs when they arrive, and also the chicks!

No news on the hedgehogs yet, but next week I hope to have an update, along with news on the nest box camera and my first delivery of mealworms.

No comments:

Post a Comment