Sunday 19 April 2015

WHERE ARE YOU SWALLOWS?

Well I’ve seen my first swallows of the year, but only while out on my bike and about five miles from the garden.

It’s always a delight to see these birds and while the birds that nest around my garden aren’t back, I’m happy enough to know that once again our countryside will be filled with sounds of my favourite bird.

Given the weather is certainly spring-like I’m remaining hopeful that I’ll be seeing and hearing swallows around the garden very soon.

I’m pretty sure that nesting and potentially brooding of eggs is happening to a few of the frequent visitors to the garden, including the robins and blackbirds – I’ve only seen a single robin for a week or so and no sign of any female blackbirds.

One surprise visitor was a long-tailed tit. I always thought they nested on a large marsh area about 2 miles from the garden, but with a few areas of thick cover nearby, there’s a chance a nesting pair could take up residence nearby.

No update on the house sparrows, with the blue tit nest box pair seemingly intent on keeping activity in the nest very private. I’m reluctant to try and move the items that are covering the camera as I’m not sure if eggs have been laid or not.

In the house sparrow triple nest box, once again the birds appear to be nesting in the two segments that don’t house a camera. Typical!

One lovely surprise has been the appearance of a peacock butterfly, which has been making the most of the sun warming up the soil and rockery.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment