Sunday 11 May 2014

SNAILS, SLUGS AND SUNFLOWERS

It feels like it should be April rather than May. Sunshine and heavy showers this week are providing excellent conditions for the flora to grow, although given the temperatures each day haven’t been high, significant growth may have to wait until it gets warmer.

I think the tree sparrow chicks in the triple nest box have fledged this week, but there are more that have hatched in the tit nest box with the broken camera.

It’s very frustrating that I can hear the chicks, but can’t see them particularly as it’s a new species that has nested in the one box.

I’ve tested the power cable and it would seem to be beyond repair, but until I can get in the nest box to test a spare cable, I just won’t know.

In other news it appears the swallows are once again nesting in the horse stables; a place they moved to when the small outbuildings at the back of the house didn’t suit anymore.

The wrens and robins are very vocal at the moment around the garden, particularly when a cat is around, which leads me to believe that they both have young chicks.

It may just be my garden, but there has been a huge amount of snails this spring. Most of them have been devouring some of my young plants, with the sunflowers being affected most.

I’ve been gathering about ten a night and they have all been ‘re-housed’ in the garden waste bin, along with grass cuttings and plenty of twigs and leaves.

Not sure if they appreciate the new home, but as long as they’re not eating my sunflowers I’ve not got much sympathy for them – I won’t kill them unless it’s absolutely necessary.

There is some promise of warm weather coming in the next few weeks, so I’m hoping to get the tomatoes outside and watch all the flowers and vegetables growing rapidly.

Perhaps even the onions will emerge and give the garden its first harvest after three years of trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment