Friday 27 December 2013

STORMY BUT MILD WINTER

Further stormy weather has left people and wildlife with problems over the festive period – not that the wildlife knows much about the festivities.

I’m noticing an increase in the small birds taking shelter in the garden, particularly when the really wet and windy weather sets in.

While this weather provides certain problems for wildlife, the really cold weather of winter will give wildlife even bigger problems because of the lack of food and unfrozen clean water.

Of course the cold weather is yet to arrive and the winter has been fairly mild so far – even if some people think it has been very cold already.

I think I’ve only had five frosts on my car and none were particularly bad.

The one thing the wind does is move the leaves that I’d placed on the borders – as a protection blanket from the cold weather – and also some of the horse manure too.

It means a little bit of extra work to put everything back and provide cover for the small wildlife from the cold and ensure a plentiful supply of food when the breeding season starts in spring.

The next job for the garden is installing the second nest box camera in the sparrow nest box and hope they use it again in 2014. I suspect one of the three sections that make up the nest box will be used because of the number of tree and house sparrows that flock in to the garden every day.

Time will tell, although I’ll be waiting for the wind to stop before getting up my ladder to fix the camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment