Monday 2 December 2013

IS WINTER COMING THIS YEAR?

December is already upon us, but we’re yet to see any really cold weather engulf the country.

There is promised to be a short spell of cold weather, not very cold, this weekend, although that is not expected to last too long.

So what affect will this mild-ish start to winter have on our flora and fauna?

Last weekend I saw flowers emerging from one of the garden bushes, which is highly unusual, and I’m wondering if my horse manure and leaf covered borders and rockery will simply give all the bulbs I planted a false warning about spring.

The rose bush that forms a hedge to one part of the garden has also produced flowers in the last week and while most of the trees have dropped their leaves, I do think some of our plants could be hit by the bitter coldness of winter just when they think it’s spring.

This isn’t something I’m concerned about with the birds, although they still aren’t coming in to the garden in large numbers despite plenty of food for them.

The odd blue tit, great tit, robin and blackbird have been seen feeding, but it’s still mainly the house and tree sparrows making use of my feeders.

I’ll soon know when it’s tough for them because the long tailed tits will visit the garden that is when I really know the natural food supply is in short stock.

One bird I’ve seen a lot of recently, although at a distancer in the field next to my garden, is a whimbrel - at least I think it is. I’ve seen it feeding in groups of up to ten for about a week now and intend to get some pictures when I’m here in the daytime and have more time to use the diminishing daylight to get some snaps. I'll also be taking my binoculars to make sure my thoughts are correct.

Until then I’ll keep an eye on the weather forecast and see how long it takes the small birds to flock to my feeders.

No comments:

Post a Comment