Sunday 28 October 2012

THE WINTER CHILL HAS ARRIVED

So the long nights and dark commutes to work are with us again, but as we bunker down for winter how does wildlife cope?

Many depart to warmer climes in search of food that would be in very short supply here, while others adapt their eating habits. Some even come to this country for the winter.
 
Reports of swallows still in the UK have been heard this week, but these must surely be heading south now. The onset of the much colder conditions and the lack of daylight hours must mean these reports will soon cease.

What I expect to increase will be reports of fieldfares and waxwings. I’ve only seen fieldfares on rare occasions near my garden and never seen a waxwing. Luckily my parents-in-law live closer to the east coast so around Christmas I see quite a few fieldfares and the odd waxwing taking advantage of the numerous winter berries.

I’ve increased my supplies of nuts to the bird feeders this week to help top up the natural supply of food, although some birds may rely much more on what I and my neighbours put out than any other food source during winter.

The number of birds I’ve noticed in the garden has decreased, although this is probably down to me being unable to spend much daylight watching for them.

Robins, blue tits, great tits, house sparrows, tree sparrows and blackbirds are still using my garden every day, though I’m hoping to see more of the great spotted woodpeckers, goldfinches, long tail tits and maybe one or two surprises.

I’ll be checking the nestboxes over the coming weeks to clean them up and help provide a place for birds to shelter and a communal huddle for warmth. Perhaps I’ll get the camera working again and get some pictures up on here.

The garden is halfway to being prepared for winter, though I’m leaving dead plants and leaves in areas so insects can shelter, while the bushes are being not being trimmed short so birds can also find shelter.

Over the next few weeks I’ll show some images of how this is coming along, subject to any early snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment