Friday 12 October 2012

SUNFLOWERS PROVING POPULAR

As the daylight succumbs to the long dark nights that winter will soon bring, the sunny moments we experience now should be enjoyed while they last.

Inevitably the wildlife are now storing up food for the colder days ahead, so my peanut feeder is taking a battering, along with the seed-filled heads of my sunflowers.

Today I've spent time watching as blue and great tits feast on the seeds, sometimes hanging upside down before prising the valued food from the flower head.

I've counted 37 sunflower heads in my garden, some bigger than others, from three varieties of plant. It doesn't seem to worry the tits as they happily fly from one type to another.

I was busy digging up part of the garden last weekend when I noticed I had company. Within minutes of me starting a robin was watching my every move and when a tasty morsel popped out of the ground, it was soon gobbled up by my new friend.

The robin stayed with me for over an hour and didn’t seem too disturbed to be feeding within a few inches of where I was standing or my spade was digging.

I suspect this robin is a resident of the area and knows that I’m not a threat; indeed I’m great help for a hungry bird looking for food.

About a week ago the garden peanut feeder was visited by a bird I’d not seen around for months; a great spotted woodpecker. I was quite shocked because the feeder is now within six feet of the house and front door, so this one must have been brave.

They’re very flighty birds so this one didn’t stay around too long, but it’s good to know one is still around and I’ll be looking out for it this autumn and winter.

The number of snails and slugs seems to be going down, although I still ‘crunch’ a few underfoot as I walk in the garden after dark.

I’m wondering of the huge numbers this year will result in even bigger numbers next year. If so I’d like to think that we’ll have hedgehog numbers increasing and hope to see one in our garden soon.

On final note the main concern I have for this winter is the high water table level. Just a short spell of rain now floods streams and rivers, while making fields and gardens very boggy.

Will autumn help by being drier than normal or will we face the prospect of heavy snow and dangerous surfaces outside this winter.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment