Thursday 10 May 2012

HOUSE MARTINS IN FULL SONG

After the arrival of the swallows, this week I've noticed a number of house martins (the birds not the band) patrolling the skies above my house.

They shared the air with the swallows, which appear to be coping with the cooler and wetter weather.

It's been unusual weather recently but the flora is benefiting massively as the garden grass, plants, bushes and small trees are growing fast.

I'm hoping to put in an order for mealworms soon, but news last night is making me rethink that.

I noticed one of the great tits with a caterpillar in its beak and watched as it entered the nestbox with the camera, that doesn't work.

It appears there are chicks in the nest, albeit small as I couldn't here them. Perhaps the wet weather of April will help the great tits have two broods, although very unlikely.

So tonight I'll be making an order for those mealworms and stop filling up the seed and peanut feeders.

I hope to get images this weekend and will try a few more tricks to get the camera working again.

All other wildlife is still about, although one thing I've noticed is the amount of solitary magpies about, which isn't good news for the superstitious among us - me included.

I suspect this is because the females are on eggs in nearby nests.

No comments:

Post a Comment