Friday 18 May 2012

ARE THE GREAT TIT CHICKS OK?

I'm very concerned for the health of the great tit chicks in my nestbox as I've not really seen or heard the parents in the garden recently.

They have been around, but not as often as in previous years when feeding growing youngsters. I fear a combination of the cool conditions and a lack of food has badly affected the chicks.

I've heard of a friend's nestbox with great tits in that all eight chicks died, mainly as a result of lack of food. This meant the parents were then bringing in the wrong type of food and the chicks starving.

I'm sure all types of wildlife have been bewildered by the weather in April and May, especially after the lovely sunny and warm conditions in March.

There does seem to be a hint of better conditions next week, but is this too late to save the inevitable population crash of many smalls birds and of course other birds that rely on naive fledglings to feed their own hungry youngsters.

Only time will tell, but I'll be checking my nestbox this weekend and hoping for some good news.

In light of the cold weather I've put peanuts out again and fat snacks, but only until it warms up, then the mealworms will be back on the menu.

Perhaps I should have bought mealworms earlier, but it would have been quite expensive to provide all the birds with enough over the recent weeks.

Today I had the canny magpies and crows visiting, after they spotted I'd left an opened back of peanuts in the garden.

The crows were dominant, but even they were scared of the tub holding the fat snacks which the peanuts were on. It was very amusing watching them dart to get the peanuts, but close their eyes in panic at being near the tub.

In positive news I did see a robin chick in the garden this week, although only one and I've not seen it since.

The swallows are still about, but I think they've delayed nesting until enough flying insects are about to feed their youngsters.

This weekend could be pivotal to how wildlife is able to bring new life in to this world and survive.

Let's hope the weather is helpful and gives them all a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment