Friday 6 April 2012

SPRING ON HOLD

I talked about cooler weather in my last post, but didn't expect some of the conditions parts of the UK suffered from.

The heaviest April snowfall in Yorkshire for 30 years came this week and many roads in nearby north Wales and the Peak District closed due to snow.

Luckily our garden didn't see any of it and although it was cold, the wildlife was able to stock up on food to see them through until now, when it's back to typical weather for this time of year.

The change in weather hasn't attracted any new visitors to the garden, although I have seen more of the goldfinches.

The nestbox camera is still not working but I'm hoping Easter will give me time to fix it, or attempt to!

I know the great tits are still about and I do wonder if they've built the nest yet.

The robins seem to be visiting the garden less frequently so I wonder if nest building is taking most of their time.

Following the blackbirds mating I've noticed the female has been seen less around the garden, while the male is around the same. The other night I saw him having a tremendous tug-of-war with a worm; when he eventually won the worm was almost as long as the blackbird.

Today I'm going to get out and about exploring the trees, hedgrows, bushes and fields to see what's new and who's about.

More updates and hopefully pictures, later this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment