Sunday 29 April 2012

THE 'DROUGHT' CONTINUES AND A SURPRISE RETURN

Despite the rain, wind and minor floods, the 'drought' continues, although it didn't put off the return of summers most welcomed visitor.

Yes that's right, the swallows returned on Thursday evening about 6pm, just before a torrential downpour that lasted for hours and caused the stream down our lane to flood the road.

I can only imagine what they thought, but the next couple of days they were seen dancing in the sky, seemingly revelling in being back at their summer home.

I was slightly worried that they wouldn't return for some reason or another, though reports on social media seems to suggest most have delayed their return to these shores until about now.

So the only question now is, when will they confirm the nest site?

The nestbox camera on the great tits isn't working still, so I'm forced to guess what is happening inside. I'm sure the nest is fully built, but not sure if any eggs have been laid, mainly due to the weather.

The May weather forecast could be for more wet, windy and cool conditions, which won't help them too much. I'm not sure this year will be a good breeding time, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

In other news the tree and house sparrow groups visiting the garden seem to be getting bigger, though I'm not sure if they're nesting. Maybe next year I'll get a combined nestbox for them to use.

The blackbirds, robins and dunnocks appear to be in the garden every few hours, while a pair of goldfinches is now making more regular visits along with a pair of magpies.

A pair of blue tits is also in the garden on a daily basis and I think they're nesting nearby again. When the rain stops I'll make a more detailed search to confirm any nest sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment