Monday 26 April 2010

NEW LIFE

I went away for a week, that was then delayed for a further five days due to the Icelandic volcano, and I've come back to a garden full of new life with more promised.

A very quick update on the main points:

  1. The robins appear to have small chicks as both parents are dashing to and from the nest with live meals including worms and the mealworms I've provided. I'll not be going near the nestbox and hope to get images and video from afar. The robins are friendly so hopefully they'll allow me to work in the garden while they feed and then fledge their chicks.
  2. The great tits have taken over the blue tit nest box and are busy building a nest. I did think they were feeding chicks but on closer inspection it appeared to be horse hair, or something similar.
  3. The usurped blue tits look to have chosen a new nestbox and could be building a nest. It's close to the front door so I don't want to disturb them too much by constantly looking. But if this is true then we'll have three new families in the garden this spring.
  4. The tadpoles in the pond have grown and most appeared to have survived the transfer from Yorkshire, so I'm really pleased.
  5. The garden and surrounding trees and bushes are now coming into leaf, with blossom brightening up the place. There's been plenty of bees around the garden and I'm hoping for a spectacular spring and summer of wildlife watching.

On a final note today has seen the return of the swallows. A lovely sight as they glide serenely over the house and farm buildings. I suspect they delayed their return and followed me back on Saturday. ;~)

No comments:

Post a Comment