Sunday 1 June 2014

BEES IN ABUNDANCE

This week I’ve been fascinated by the bees in the garden. There has been an almost constant hum of noise around the escallonia bush, with at least 15-20 bumblebees and the odd honey bee making the most of the nectar on offer.

I recently trimmed the bush back, after previously allowing it to grow for a couple of years. It has flowered every year, but not to this extent.
 
Here’s an idea of how it’s grown from 2008, 2009 and present day.



 
I’ve so far been able to identify three types of bees visiting the escallonia; the red tailed bumblebee, buff tailed bumblebee and early bumblebee.



 
If anyone can identify any more than please let me know.

Finally for this bee-fest, here’s a video of the escallonia. Next week I’ll have an update on the flora, including the vegetables I’m growing.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment