Monday 13 January 2014

IS WINTER FINALLY SHOWING ITS COLD SIDE?

A couple of overnight frosts have led to an increased number of bird sightings in the garden.

I carried out the BTO’s Early Bird Survey this week and witnessed a wide range of birds visiting the garden before, during and after dawn.

In no particular order I saw blackbird, robin, blue tit, dunnock, magpie, great tit, tree sparrow, house sparrow, long tailed tit and great spotted woodpecker.

The range of species so early in the morning utilising the fat snacks, peanuts and seeds I put out shows that wildlife can sometimes depend on human handouts to help them through the winter.

I think there are at least two male robins battling over the space around my garden, with one currently occupying the garden and another taking up space that includes the garage.

I mentioned it previously that the garage robin has been appearing in the doorway every time I go in there, often taking some food from a feeder that I leave while filling the others.

This week I managed to get a picture of the robin and you can see him nicking some food below.

I’ll be keeping an eye on both robins, along with any others, to see if I can map the territories and distinguish between them to see if they all visit the garden at some point.

Images of the long tailed tits are my next aim, although I’m not seeing them every day so it might be a little trickier.

Now that the storms have stopped for a while, I wonder if we’ll see any severe frosts and/or snow. I hope so, as it’ll give the flora and fauna a point at which to start planning for spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment