Tuesday 22 October 2013

AUTUMN RAIN BUT SUMMER TEMPERATURES

Heavy rain is affecting all of the country, but I wonder what it is doing to the wildlife.

One thing it’s doing to my garden is attracting lots of slugs and snails, plus encouraging flowers and plants to keep producing displays to attract the declining number of insects.

The birds have not been frequenting the garden much, which I presume is down to the amount of natural food available out in the fields, hedgerows and woods around my house.

Only the house and tree sparrows have been seen regularly and even the blackbirds and robins are conspicuous by their absence.

I hope the wet weather doesn’t flood out too many earthworms as these have suffered enough in recent years and they are the aerators of our soils, making sure it doesn’t stagnate. Plus they are food for plenty of other animals.

In the next week or so I’m planning to finish the harvesting of the crops, apart from the parsnips. I’m still collecting ripening tomatoes and have carrots, potatoes and runner beans all ready to be picked.

Once all the harvesting is done I’ll be off to get some horse manure and then mix it in with all my borders and hopefully this will help generate even better plants and crops for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment