Saturday 24 August 2013

SUMMER RAIN FAILS TO DAMPEN GARDEN SPIRITS

The recent rain has been tempered by warm temperatures as summer turns out the traditional British weather for August.

I’m not sure what affect it’s had on the bees and butterflies that have frequented my garden recently, but I imagine they have not been exactly enjoying themselves.

That said, there are still plenty of flowers and with that plenty of nectar in my garden, which should help them through the wet days.

The birds are still spending most of their time away from the garden, with only fleeting glimpses or sounds from a few.

They are coming around because the feeders are emptying, but are seemingly shy; perhaps because of the parents’ moulting.

The swallows are still thronging the telephone wires and roof tops, singing their beautiful tune when the sun is shining.

I’m hoping they stay around for a few more weeks, as the swifts seem to have already left for their winter retreats.

I’ve not seen much of the sparrowhawk that swooped and almost landed on my head recently, but with a seemingly high number of young birds arriving this year, I think she’ll be back.

With autumn on the way soon, it’s time to start thinking of making sure we have enough feeders and food ready for when the weather turns cold and the natural supply of food becomes scarce.

I know that if the long tail tits come calling to the garden, the natural food supplies in the countryside are running out and the food supplied in my garden becomes vital to them.

Finally I’m still waiting to hear from a few rescue centres about re-homing a hedgehog. I’m hoping to be able to help one or more out soon and provide them with a lovely new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment