Sunday 19 May 2013

HOW MANY BIRDS HAVE CHICKS?

The weather is playing mind games with everyone at the moment; one day it’s spring, the next day it’s like winter is returning.

I’ve been continuing with the mealworm hand-outs and also kept the fat snacks filled, both of which have been very well received by the birds.

Putting the mealworms out has given me a chance to calculate which birds have chicks, and if so find where the nests are.

I know the blue tits nesting in the camera nestbox have got chicks, even though I can’t see them because the camera isn’t working! The two parents are very grateful for the mealworms, because it seems there are very few caterpillars about.

When there haven’t been any mealworms on offer the blue tits are taking tiny fragments of the fat snacks for the chicks, which is unusual but seems to be working.

Two robin families are present and I’ve managed to track one to the railway bridge, although the exact location of the nest is yet to be determined.

The other robin family hasn’t been traced, although I know the general direction the nest is in.

The railway bridge robins seem to have some neighbours in the shape of a pair of swallows who I think are building a nest right underneath the bridge.

I know swallows that nest under a swing bridge over a river, but I’ve never heard, or known, swallows nesting under a railway bridge.

The house sparrows are also taking some mealworms along with a pair of great tits, although the location of these nests is still a mystery.

I suspect the blackbirds are on eggs as I’ve only seen and heard the males during the last week.

The male great spotted woodpecker is now a daily visitor, mainly to the fat snacks although I’ve seen him take a few mealworms.

He’s such a flighty bird that he’s rarely around for longer than a few minutes.

With little natural food it seems all the nesting birds with chicks are using the fat snacks to feed their youngsters, which is something I’d never thought about before.

Even so, I’m limiting the mealworm hand-outs as I don’t want the birds to be reliant on them as I can’t be here all the time to put them out.

Next time I might have some fledging news!

No comments:

Post a Comment