Tuesday 5 March 2013

A SPRING IN MY STEP

Has spring finally sprung? It certainly feels like it and the birds seem to know it around my garden.

I’ve seen pairs of great tits, blue tits and dunnocks flirting together while the blackbird couple spend time in the garden and surrounding area a few times a day.

The great tits seem to be showing great interest in the nestbox with the camera in, although while I can’t be sure if one or both are roosting in there because the camera still isn’t working, I’m confident that it is happening. The alarm calls at dusk when I’m in the garden seem to be a good indication of this.

Looking at the camera I feel the fault is definitely with the aerial sending the signals to the receiver as the infa red lights on the camera are working, showing power is getting there. If anyone has any suggestions as to what I can do, please post a comment, it would be much appreciated.

Over the weekend the great tits were witnessed displaying to each other while picking up pieces of dead grass, which could be nesting material.

The robin that follows me around the garden has been seen with a potential mate in the last few days, including a few minutes of displaying to each other over the weekend. Perhaps they will use the robin nestbox that has been in my garden for four years, but only used once.

My favourite visitor of the weekend was a song thrush, which seems to have taken a liking to my garden and the surrounding area, and is now almost as common a site as the other birds. Below is the best image I have of it so far, but I’ll keep trying for a better one.

Song thrush in my garden

The house sparrow flock seems to be getting louder, although this is probably down to the signals that spring is here, rather than a problem with my hearing!

I suspect they will disperse a little in the coming weeks to find a suitable communal nest site, which may be close to my garden – in which case I’ll be seeing them all spring and summer.

So as spring starts to appear, it won’t be long before the current dawn chorus of song thrush, blackbird and robin is joined by my favourite summer resident, the swallow.

I hear through @Swallowsighting that some swallows are already starting the long journey to the UK and perhaps we’ll see one by Easter. Fingers crossed because they’re presence in this country is something we should celebrate and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment