Saturday 9 February 2013

SONG THRUSH SONGS BRIGHTEN UP ANY WINTER DAY

As winter keeps us on our toes with bouts of cold weather and potential snow, the wildlife seems to be more and more attracted to my garden.

In the last week the flock of long tailed tits has visited at least once a day, often more than once, with one or two jays – I think it may be a pair – now feeding confidently in the garden; well as confident as this shy bird can be!

My favourite piece of recent news is the arrival of a song thrush to the garden, which appears to have taken up residence in and around the garden.

It has been singing from various high points in the trees in the last ten days, sometimes for hours on end.

The very latest on the song thrush is that it now appears there are two of them – I’m hoping the singing has been performed by the male and he has attracted a female.

I hope they have found a place to nest and that it is close by. The songs have been beautiful and I must have heard at least 20 different ones over the last week or so.

The flocks of smaller birds are getting bigger, with the blue tits, great tits, tree sparrows, house sparrows and chaffinches often joined by robins, blackbirds and the odd wren in the garden.

They’re all enjoying the fat snacks, peanuts and seeds I’m putting out for them and when I refill the feeders, the birds seem to know what I’m doing and I can hear them excitedly chattering and gathering close to where I put them in the trees.

I haven’t heard the wailing of mating foxes this year, although I know they’re about. To many people the sound is very distressing as it’s often in the middle of the night and does sound like a baby crying from a lot of pain.

The tawny owls have not been heard for a few weeks, although I’m sure they’ve taken refuge further towards the woods for greater protection from the weather conditions; I hope to hear them again soon.

Until then, let’s hope the promised cold weather and snow won’t have too negative effect on the wildlife and the birds benefit from my handouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment