Saturday 10 November 2012

A LOVELY SURPRISE

I’ve had a few chances to view the wildlife in the daylight this week and I’ve been pleasantly surprised by some new regular visitors.

I have seen jays around every so often, mainly down the lane, but to see them regularly and in my garden has been a joy.

They are traditionally a woodland bird but I suspect a lack of food is making them search further. Perhaps the acorn harvest has been poor, or the local population has increased thus dispersion has brought them nearer to my garden.

I suspect it could be a bit of both plus the fact these secretive birds are getting bolder as competition for food increases.

So as we’re on the verge of proper winter weather will my garden see more of these colourful birds and how many other species will venture to feed on my fatty snacks and peanuts?

I’m looking forward to the colder weather as it’ll give me more chance to see the birds in the leafless trees, well most of them anyway.

One thing has surprised me is the newly emerged flower from one of my sunflower plants. It’s only a small one, but I suspect the lack of frosts and a few ‘milder’ days has encouraged the flower to appear.

In other news I’ve noticed a number of ladybirds inside the house, most risking being trodden on have been rescued and placed somewhere they can make a winter home.

I’d not seen many this summer so I’m hoping the fact I’ve seen a few this autumn means that there hasn’t been a population crash this year.

One of my favourite times of the year is when fresh snow falls overnight and you can go out looking at which wildlife has been out and about during darkness and in the daylight.
 
How long will it be before this happens? Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment