Sunday 23 September 2012

SO LONG SWALLOWS, SEE YOU NEXT SUMMER?

The swallows are still around; well yesterday I saw a pair gliding in the evening air, snapping up insects in daredevil moves, some just inches above the ground.

A few days ago there was almost 20 gathering together, so I can only assume that the last two are parents looking for any stragglers to help make the journey to Africa.

I suspect I won’t see any more after this weekend, well until next spring. They are one of my favourite birds, probably in the top two, so I thoroughly enjoy seeing them, albeit for only five months of the year.

My only concern is they come back next year and were not put off by our lack of summer this year.

In the garden my tomatoes are suffering with the cold weather overnight, even being hit by a slight frost last night.

I’ll still be collecting some for consumption but know the time will soon be upon us when the plants will succumb  to the weather and lead me to thinking of next season for planting seeds.

The butterflies were around in numbers with the sunshine of the last couple of days, making the most of any late summer, early autumn nectar supplies. Some flew away when I went near them, while others (see below) seemingly posed for the camera!
 

The snails and slugs are still out in force in the evenings, especially when it rains, though I’m not culling them as I wait for a hedgehog or two to come and sort them out!

Most plants are showing signs of early autumn colder nights, though others are blooming, including those that are feeding the butterflies.

What changes will the garden and the surrounding wildlife experience over the next few days, weeks and months? Only time will tell, but I’ll be following and diarising what happens around me to give a logged history of wildlife in the neighbourhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment