Tuesday 25 October 2011

AUTUMN IS IN ITS WAY

The chill of autumn cast an early white shadow on the lawn one morning last week, but the full version of the season is yet to show.

A mild autumn has meant many birds are yet to spend much time in the garden as the fields, hedgerows and woods are clearly providing enough food.

I did glimpse a flock of long tailed tits over the weekend briefly visiting the garden. I've seen them while on my bike around Frodsham Marsh but I'm looking forward to watching them flock around the peanut feeders in the garden.

Last year I counted over 15 in the garden at one time, so will they break the record this year and have a big number of youngsters from the breeding season? Only time will tell.

This week I've spotted a couple of jays around the lane and possibly the first fieldfare, although I was unable to confirm this as I was driving.

As November nears I'm hoping for a number of winter visitors, but will the elusive badgers from down the lane put in an appearance?

I'm hoping a spring and summer of teaching my daughter Poppy of the exciting aspect of nature watching will pay dividends as a new batch of garden visitors come to the garden.

On another note my birdbox camera will be cleaned this weekend and await the arrival of the first winter roosting birds.

More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment